Since rideshare drivers share the road with hundreds of other cars each day, the risk of being involved in a rideshare accident is conceivable.
As a passenger, it is essential to understand your rights if you fall victim to an accident caused by your rideshare driver. Continue reading to learn how you should navigate this process to receive the rightful compensation you deserve.
What Is a Rideshare Company?
Rideshare platforms operate as a dispatcher of sorts connecting riders and drivers via websites and mobile apps. These companies provide driver-for-hire services to customers through freelance drivers who use their vehicles for transportation. Some examples of rideshare companies include Uber, Lyft, Via, Gett, Curb, and Ztrip.
Steps to Take After a Rideshare Accident
If you are involved in a rideshare accident, here are a few steps to take straightaway:
- Receive any necessary medical treatment as soon as possible.
- It is the driver’s responsibility to file an accident report with law enforcement, however as a passenger, you will also need to report the crash to the ridesharing company.
- Gather information about the accident, such as the names of everyone involved, insurance information, license plate numbers, and photographs of vehicle damage.
- When you get a quiet moment, take some time to write out the details of what happened. These notes might become helpful in the future as you consult with an attorney, your insurance provider, and law enforcement.
Whose Insurance Covers a Rideshare Accident?
Generally, the insurance company of a driver who is at fault is responsible for any passenger injury claim after a traffic accident. In the event of a rideshare accident, you will file an insurance claim through the driver’s policy or the coverage provided by the rideshare company. If another vehicle were at fault, you would file a claim through that driver’s insurance provider.
Who Is Liable for Passenger Injuries?
If you sustain injuries as a passenger, the legalities can sometimes be murky. In general, the rideshare company will only be legally liable for a passenger’s damages if the company itself was negligent in connection with the crash. In some states, rideshare drivers are considered independent contractors. Therefore, the driver and their insurance company would be responsible for financial compensation.
How Much is a Rideshare Passenger Injury Case Worth?
Many factors determine the value of a rideshare passenger’s injury claim, but it starts by understanding the scope of their damages. Here are some of the factors that affect the value of an injury settlement:
- Any past and future medical care that is needed
- Prescribed medications
- Loss of income
- Daily life interruptions
- Quality of life
- Physical and mental pain and suffering
Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton Can Help
If you have fallen victim to a rideshare accident, Flickinger Sutterfield & Boulton is here to help. Our team has over 25 years of experience assisting Utah citizens to recover financially after a car accident occurs, and we are eager to help you with your case.
We have offices in Provo, Orem, Saratoga Springs, and West Jordan, Utah. Give us a call today to get in touch with a car accident lawyer that will be by your side every step of the way.